Marketing online is a mixed bag. While search marketing is high impact and high value, it’s not the only game in town.
In this week’s poll, I’ve assembled a variety, but not comprehensive, list of web site marketing channels that are alternatives to standard search engine marketing. Some are true, stand alone channels. Some offer the benefit of direct traffic as well as a positive effect for natural search engine rankings.
Name your top non-standard search engine online marketing channel
- Email (20%, 16 Votes)
- RSS (17%, 14 Votes)
- Social News (Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit) (10%, 8 Votes)
- Social Networks (9%, 7 Votes)
- Offline Advertising or Promotion (9%, 7 Votes)
- Web Site Links (free) (7%, 6 Votes)
- Online Advertising (not PPC) (6%, 5 Votes)
- Press Releases (5%, 4 Votes)
- Syndicated Articles (4%, 3 Votes)
- Social Media (Video, Images, Audio) (4%, 3 Votes)
- Directories (4%, 3 Votes)
- Forums (4%, 3 Votes)
- Web Site Links (paid) (2%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 81
As standard search engines evolve via personalized and social search, I think alternative online marketing tactics will become increasingly important for those currently relying on search engine optimization. Please share your thoughts and additional channel or tactics recommendations in the comments.