TopRank is hiring for various SEO positions like mad right now and in the process of revising job descriptions to reflect changes in client needs and the industry, it became clear that, yet again, some skills have become far more important than others.
An example would be the importance of HTML and on-page optimization skills was very high in the early days of SEO, whereas link building and viral marketing/creative have become increasingly important.
Core characteristics for a successful search marketing career like being smart as a hell and an insatiable need to continuously learn new things will never change, but as you know, when an ordered list comes across my desk, it’s time for a reader poll!
A proper answer to this question would probably start with, “It depends on the situation” so feel free to provide context for your answer in the comments.
What type of SEO skill is most important?
- Copywriting (28%, 32 Votes)
- Keyword analysis (14%, 16 Votes)
- Marketing strategy (11%, 12 Votes)
- Web analytics (11%, 12 Votes)
- Traditional link building (7%, 8 Votes)
- Online research and search (6%, 7 Votes)
- Coding (4%, 5 Votes)
- Account management (4%, 4 Votes)
- Online PR for SEO (4%, 4 Votes)
- Creative and design (4%, 4 Votes)
- Social media for SEO (4%, 4 Votes)
- Server side issues (1%, 1 Votes)
- Blog marketing (1%, 1 Votes)
- Sales process consulting (1%, 1 Votes)
- Media and link buying (1%, 1 Votes)
- Blackhat skillz (0%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 113
With so many skills involved in the business of planning, executing and managing a search engine optimization campaign, this list is by no means comprehensive, so please mention other “most important” SEO skills in the comments.