The first post-lunch session of day 3 of Pucon brought together a great mix of SEO experts including: Todd Malicoat, Rand Fishkin and last minute fill-in for Jessie Stricchiola, Andy Beal. Moderator duties were handled by Joe Laratro.
First up is Todd who covered 30 different tools which are too many to mention here but included tools for: browsers, domain server, keywords, competitive research, ranking checkers, backlink checking, on page optimization, spidering, productivity and tools for fixing duplicate content. but the most interesting included:
- User agent switcher allows you to surf the web as if you were a bot from an engine so you can see sites the way search engine spiders see them.
- Search Status Firefox plugin shows you various time saving information all in one place
- Header Checker
- SiteUptime lets you know when your site goes down
- Domain Tools Bookmarklet that gives you whois information on the domain name you’re looking at. Also shows other domain names someone owns (paid)
- Ping time shows how fast your site responds to web requests. If slow, it can cause issues with spidering.
- Keyword tools: WordTracker.com, KeywordDiscovery.com, tools.seobook.com also offers a free keyword tool
- SEOBook – SEO for Firefox
- SpyFu scrapes Google AdWords and can give information about competitor keyword purchase activity
- Compete.com shows competitor traffic and keyword information (paid tool)
- Caphyon Advanced Web Ranking – rank checking tool
- Link Harvester shows unique linking domains to a specific URL, deep link ratio, number of .edu links, etc
- Hub Finder – will find collections of sites that all link to a particular URL. If they link to that URL, maybe they will link to you.
- Interet Marketing Ninjas – a Strongest Subpage Tool.
- SoloSEO.com is a project management tool for SEO projects
- Link Suggestion Tool shows a list of search phrases you can combine with keywords to research link opportunities
- Xenu Link Sleuth broken link tool.
- Roboform remembers form field information for filling out information
- Jing Project ScreenCapture
- Copyscape will show you any time someone copies your content on the web
Next up is Rand Fishkin of SEOmoz with “6 Tools that Rock” and promises there is very little if any overlap with Todd.
- SEO Automatic Tool - looks at common on page optimization factors and offers recommendations.
- DaveN’s Keyword Density Tool will analyze keyword occurrence on-page and it surfs as Googlebot.
- blogpulse – Tracks millions of blog feeds and provides insight into what bloggers are discussing as well as trends of phrases over time.
- LinkfromDomain Command @ Live.com – who is a particular site linking to. (linkfromdomain:toprankblog.com)
- Historical PageRank Lookup from SEOmoz tools
- Linkscape SEOMoz is a crawl of the web that offers metrics on link and score mozrank on the domain level and at the URL level. Shows who 301 redirects what page, anchor text distribution and others.
Last up is Andy Beal from Marketing Pilgrim.
- SEOResearchLabs.com offers keyword research for $100. Extensive spreadsheet of keyword data.
- SEO Link Analysis - Firefox extension gives you a bit more information when opening such pages, it gathers the PageRank for the linking page, the anchor text used on the link, and checks whether the link is nofollowed or not
- Google Webmaster Central -
- Backlinkwatch.com – Shows the URLs of link sources, PageRank, follow/nofollow.
- SEMCheck.com – $12 tool that automates basic SEO functions and issues.