With all the hubub about personalized and real time search and the potential impact on the SEO work that can influence search visibility, the question about relevance comes to mind when considering books about search engine optimization. Search engines like Google change often (38 new search products in 70 days) so one could argue that a book published in print would become outdated. For those books that outline very specific tactics and even tricks/loopholes, that indeed is the case.
However, there are many SEO books that focus on strategy and tactics worth considering. Well understood principles of information retrieval, content optimization & promotion, consumer search behaviors and analytics are timeless.
To that end, I’ve compiled a list of 14 books on SEO below from our list of 100 Search Marketing Resources and setup a poll that provides you the opportunity to pick which 3 are your favorites. Maybe we’ll find the Best SEO Book of 2009 🙂 (according to Online Marketing Blog readers at least).
What are your 3 favorite books on SEO?
- Art of SEO - Eric Enge, Stephan Spencer, Rand Fishkin, Jessie C. Stricchiola (27%, 48 Votes)
- Search Engine Optimization: Your Visual Blueprint for Effective Internet Marketing - Kristopher B. Jones (27%, 47 Votes)
- Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day - Jennifer Grappone & Gradiva Couzin (24%, 42 Votes)
- Landing Page Optimization - Tim Ash (21%, 37 Votes)
- Search Engine Marketing Inc, 2nd Edition - Mike Moran & Bill Hunt (14%, 24 Votes)
- The Truth about Search Engine Optimization - Rebecca Lieb (11%, 20 Votes)
- Inbound Marketing - Brian Halligan & Dharmesh Shah (10%, 17 Votes)
- Search Engine Visibility, 2nd Edition - Shari Thurow (8%, 14 Votes)
- The Findability Formula: Easy, Non-Technical Approach to SEM - Heather F. Lutze (7%, 12 Votes)
- Building Findable Websites: Web Standards SEO and Beyond - Aarron Walter (6%, 10 Votes)
- Website Optimization: Speed, Search Engine & Conversion Rate Secrets - Andrew King (6%, 10 Votes)
- SEO Warrior - John I. Jerkovic (4%, 7 Votes)
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization Bible - Jerri L. Ledford (3%, 5 Votes)
- SEO Made Simple - Michael H. Fleischner (2%, 4 Votes)
Total Voters: 176
If you would like to learn more about any of the books on SEO in our poll, here are the links to their pages on Amazon (not affiliate):
- SEO Warrior – John I. Jerkovic
- Art of SEO – Eric Enge, Stephan Spencer, Rand Fishkin, Jessie C. Stricchiola
- Search Engine Marketing Inc, 2nd Edition – Mike Moran & Bill Hunt
- Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day – Jennifer Grappone & Gradiva Couzin
- The Truth about Search Engine Optimization – Rebecca Lieb
- Search Engine Visibility, 2nd Edition – Shari Thurow
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization Bible – Jerri L. Ledford
- SEO Made Simple – Michael H. Fleischner
- Search Engine Optimization: Your Visual Blueprint for Effective Internet Marketing – Kristopher B. Jones
- Building Findable Websites: Web Standards SEO and Beyond – Aarron Walter
- The Findability Formula: Easy, Non-Technical Approach to SEM – Heather F. Lutze
- Landing Page Optimization – Tim Ash
- Website Optimization: Speed, Search Engine & Conversion Rate Secrets – Andrew King
- Inbound Marketing – Brian Halligan & Dharmesh Shah
There is some irony in this poll of course, because Aaron Wall’s “SEO Book” is no longer sold and therefore, not included in the poll. Are there other well written and relevant books on SEO that we missed? Please mention them in the comments and we’ll add them to the 100 SEM Resources post.