Mark Glaser of the Online Journalism Review reports on his visit to Yahoo to sit in on a production meeting related to the redesign of Yahoo News which is due to launch in public beta later this month. (screenshot)
New features include:
- “Toggle” feature lets you see news headlines from a particular news source at a glance.
- “My Sources” tab on each section lets you see your RSS headlines — and you can add feeds to the page.
- Tabbed navigation on top of each page, with more weight and space given to the top story package.
- Y!Q technology embedded into key words in stories brings pop-up box with links to relevant Yahoo and Web pages. (this is cool)
- Story pages will have one square ad within story instead of a top and side banner.
- “IM story” option lets you send a news story via Yahoo Messenger instant messaging service.
Yahoo News already has over 25 million daily readers. Features like this are sure to attract even more.