You may have noticed some tagging going on around the blogosphere today. Not the SMO kind of tagging but the “tag you’re it” kind of tagging. Marshall Sponder over at Web Metrics Guru got me yesterday, but I just noticed this afternoon.
Jeff Pulver started things off with this Holiday version of Blog Tag and this is the way it works: Once you’re tagged by another blogger, you write five things most people don’t know about you and then “tag” five other bloggers.
If you’re a regular reader to this blog, you’ll know I’m not one for many (if any) “cat posts” so it will be pretty easy for me to hit on a few things most people don’t know about me.
1. I played football in high school (Center and Defensive Tackle) and our team won the state championship with only 13 points given up the entire season. That was a very memorable experience.
2. I spent 2 years on active duty in the Army (Ft. Richardson, AK) and about 3 years in the reserves. It was all during peacetime and an absolute cakewalk compared to what those brave soldiers are going through right now in Iraq.
3. During college, I studied in Aalborg, Denmark for 9 months with side trips to Italy, Hungary and a trip to Moscow. We also did spring break in what was then known as Leningrad.
4. We haven’t had television at our house in 5 years but I am a movie fanatic and have about 1500 VHS and DVDs. It’s a good thing for Netflix or I would have double that.
5. When I was much younger, talking to groups of people and writing were two things I absolutely dreaded. I was very, very shy. Now writing is at the center of my livelihood and I had 10+ speaking gigs this year, one of which was in front of over 1,000 people. It’s amazing what can happen when you’re passionate about your work.
Now, on to the tagging! Let’s try: Loren Baker, Aaron Pratt, Thomas McMahon, Eric Ward and Frank Gruber.
Ben Dungan says
What was the best movie you saw this year? Like you – I am addicted to Netflix and love to watch independent flicks and older movies I missed growing up…
Lee Odden says
Hey Ben, that’s a tough one because there are so many. I’m a sucker for epics so movies like Braveheart, Titanic, Four Feathers, etc are always favorites but I also like edgier movies like those that Quenton Tarantino makes and also Sin City. Since I have kids I see a lot of kids movies and I really like Incredibles for some reason.
My original interest in movies started with Science Fiction/Fantasy but I haven’t seen a lot that interests me there outside of the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings series’. What are some of your favorites?
“When I was much younger, talking to groups of people and writing were two things I absolutely dreaded.”
Ben Dungan says
Some of my all-time favorites include Lonesome Dove, The Apostle, and Leaving Las Vegas. I am not a movie collector, but I do love watching movies -especially older movies. For some reason, I feel safe when I watch those older movies from the 50s and 60s. Nostalgia is a powerful thing…
Lee Odden says
Right on Ben, I hear you on the nostalgia. I used to watch vintage stuff on the movie channel when I had it. I may need to revist that I think because there’s a lot of good stuff out there. For example, “It’s a Wonderful Life” will never get boring for me.