My Top iPhone Apps for Social Media Marketing

Lee Odden     Online Marketing, Social Media

iPhone Apps Social Media Marketing It’s a little ironic that I’m writing this post about iPhone apps using WordPress on a Motorola Droid (Devour actually), but it allows me a chance to experience how hard it is to blog, using a tiny tiny tactile keyboard and also finally get this post started.

Ah, back to a full sized Logitech keyboard and mouse. Much better.

Popularized by iPhones, there are apps for just about everything, including tools to help social media marketers on the go. In fact, there are over 100,000 iPhone applications to choose from. Many of those apps are extensions of social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Others serve as productivity tools for more efficient social web participation or for content creation.

As a content marketer that is also a big fan of social networking and sharing, here are a few of my favorites:

Echofon – Twitter usage on iPhones must be out of this world and while there are many great apps for Twitter including Seesmic, Hootsuite, Tweetie and Tweetdeck, I like EchoFon the best. It’s amazingly easy to switch between multiple accounts, its fast and there’s an auto-complete feature when typing in Twitter handles that saves a lot of time.  It works with lists very nicely but does not offer scheduled tweeting, which I don’t personally use much anyway.

EchoFon

Facebook – I probably use Facebook more on the iPhone than through the web site. Personal social networking or networking as an individual on Facebook is pretty easy to do with the app. What I’ve pictured below is where I also get a lot of productivity, which is being able to manage our blog’s fan page. We’ve gone from about 80 to over 1,400 fans in about 3 months and the convenience of adding to discussions via the iPhone has a lot to do with that growth.

Facebook

Foursquare – You know those social media shiny objects that you’ve come to avoid but then they gain so much momentum and buzz that you have to try it out and then you end up liking them? That’s my Foursquare experience. It was the same with Twitter. Using Foursquare for marketing as an individual isn’t as obvious as what one might do with Foursquare location based advertising.

However, it can be pretty handy at conferences and events for announcing/leaking certain kinds of information. As a retailer or other business with a brick and mortar presence, can you imagine how useful it would be to know who your most active consumers are that are also active on the social web?

Foursquare

LinkedIn – While I’m not always by a computer (can you believe it?) I almost always have my phone with me and that makes accepting LinkedIn invitations (or not as you can see below) easy to do. Status updates are easy to do and can be seen by as large a social network as you care to develop. Thus the LinkedIn iPhone app makes it easy to feed that network. Quality trumps quantity here by far.

LinkedIn

UStream Live Broadcaster – Capturing live video and audio plus the ability to poll viewers and promote on Twitter seems like a fantasy app for a social media marketer. Especially when you’re at an event and you want to capture something and get it out immediately. It’s amazing how easy the UStream iPhone app (U Broadcaster) makes this process.

UStream iPhone App

Flickr – Capturing and sharing images is an essential part of digital asset marketing and social media marketing. The Flickr App makes it pretty easy to upload and manage images taken with your iPhone.

Flickr iPhone App

Google Buzz – Privacy issues aside, there’s plenty of buzz about Google Buzz and the only way I’ll use it is on my iPhone.  Let’s face it, with Google’s dominance and momentum, you can’t afford not to stay on top of their obvious efforts to become a social media powerhouse. It’s not exactly a standalone app though. However, Google makes it easy to add a bookmark to Buzz on your iPhone from Gmail so you can use it directly.

Update via Mashable: Apparently there’s a new app called Buzzie for Google Buzz on the iPhone.

Google Buzz iPhone App

AudioBoo – This is a handy tool for capturing and promoting on-the-move podcasts. It’s really a no-brainer except when you’re like me the first time I interviewed Vanessa Fox for a podcast and held the iPhone right side up, which for podcasting with an iPhone, is upside down since the microphone is on the bottom. Doh!

iPhone Podcasting

AnalyticsApp.com – What good is marketing online if you’re not MEASURING? For those with Google Analytics implemented on their sites and blogs (who doesn’t?) this app gives you insight into all the details of web visitor data you’ve come to love with GA.

AnalyticsApp.com

Are these the bestest, newest and most awesome iPhone apps for Social Media Marketers? For this marketer, the apps I’ve listed above take care of 90% of my mobile social media needs. In fact, 4 or 5 would probably do the trick.  I do wish there were more social media monitoring iPhone apps though. Especially those that offer Social CRM functionality with your contact list. I’m also keen on finding task management apps that work well with Outlook.

What are your favorite iPhone apps for social media marketing?

Comments

1. Hi Lee –

Thanks for this, definitely downloading the UStream app. One app you didn't mention that I have used many times is Twitvid. Super easy to use and post. It hasn't failed me yet.

2. Use them all apart from buzzie which I'll now try. My6sense is cool. Tweetie2 is a must. Netnewsire good too.

3. Lee – you got most of my favorites.

While not really in the same category, I also am addicted to RankTouch which gives real-time graphs and data on my books’ Amazon sales rank.

4. Awesome list, Lee. I'm partial to the WordPress app as well. Nothing beats it for a blogger who needs to correct a misspelling, change a link or even publish a full post on the fly. Great list, though. Thanks for the point to AnalyticsApp. Didn't know about that one!

5. Lee, great list (although I question the need for 2 smart phones…how smart can one man be?). I use all of these currently, and think you missed both Loopt and Blogger apps. I like using Blogger to help manage the client blogs I use there (mainly for typing corrections and link corrections as Jason mentions) and Loopt for stalking my friends/family and Social Media contacts! Thanks as always!

• Hey Tyler, love this: “I question the need for 2 smart phones…how smart can one man be?”

I'm testing the droid out and will eventually use it as a giveaway on our blog or to our staff. It simply doesn't compare to the iPhone.

Thanks for mentioning Loopt – I haven't looked at that in a while.

6. Great post, Lee. The Ustream Livebroadcaster took me by surprise. That's a definite win. As far as Google Analytics goes, I also recommend that your readers check out AnalyticsPro and BAM Analytics Pro. These two relatively newer Google Analytics apps are a little pricier than Analytics App (which is also a great app!), but the extra cash is worth it for complete Google Analytics junkies. They all render beautifully on the iPhone, which doesn't come as a surprise.

7. Does the Analytics APP allow for viewing of custom reports?

8. topherthoughts says:

I'm in total agreement on the Foursquare experience. The addictiveness kinda creeps up on you. As for Linked-In's app, they have made huge strides from the earlier version, but I still don't find it overwhelmingly useful.

• I agree, the first iteration of the LinkedIn app was rather useless. The current app is one I use to see friend requests but I don't do much else with it. What would be nice is if these apps could do something different than what can be found on the web site and that's specific to a mobile experience.

9. Daniel Easterbook says:

I want an iPhone! Blackberry's are great for business but they are not as fun as Apple's masterpeice.

10. karimacatherine says:

Hi Lee,

the Ustream is really cool app. I will try it out as soon as I upgrade to 3GS.
    As for Foursquare, It is addictive, specially, if you want to stay at top of the weekly leaderboad 🙂
    Karima-Catherine

• Hi Karmia-Catherine, I neglected to mention the 3GS requirement for Ustream. 🙂 Maybe I can start using it more now that I've included in my favorites list!

11. Great article! This is a two-thumbs up new on social media and iphone apps. You can take it anywhere, anytime and in your most convenient way.

12. Great to see this being discussed, I was just looking for information on all of these type gadgets and know zip, nada. Thankyou.

13. Matt McGowan says:

The ClickZ app is my favorite! Great way to keep up on the marketing news and best practices. Search ClickZ in the app store (oh yeah, it’s free!)

14. kelvinjohnson says:

PHONES 4U LTD.
    Registered No. 03154198
    ADDRESS: OSPREY HOUSE ORE CLOSE, LYMEDALE BUSINESS PARK, NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME, STAFFORDSHIRE, ST5 9QD UK :
    EMAIL:[email protected]
    TELL: +447924570789
    SKYPE:PHONE4U3
    SALE,S MANAGER:
    KELVIN JOHNSON

Store Hours:
    Monday – Wednesday: 10 AM – 6 PM
    Thursday – Friday: 10 AM – 8 PM
    Saturday: 11 AM – 6 PM
    Sunday: CLOSED

AUTHENTIC,GENUINE,MOBILE PHONES BRAND NEW,DIRECT FROM RETAIL STORE.esther promo (BUY 3 GET 1 FREE)

OUR PRICE LIST.

Samsung LN-R408D – LCD TV – 40……€800 euro
    Samsung LTM 225W – LCD TV – 22……€500 euro
    Samsung PPM63H3-plasma panel 63…..€2000 euro
    Samsung HP-P5071 50-inch 1366X768 HD Plasma TV Ref…..€800 euro
    Samsung HPP5031 – plasma panel – 50.€1000 euro
    Pioneer PDP-5050HD Television…….€1000 euro
    Sharp 32″ Aquos HD-Ready LCD TV…. €500 euro.
    Sharp AQUOS LC-52D62U 52″ LCD HDTV-€500 euro
    Samsung LN-S3251D 32″ LCD HDTV –€400 euro
    Canon PIXMA MP600 All-In-One Inkjet Printer–€600 euro
    Sony Bravia KDL-40V2500 40″ LCD HDTV–€500 euro
    Vizio L37 37″ LCD HDTV —€450 euro

We give maximum guarantee for safe delivery of items bought from us.
    As soon as final conclusions are done from you kindly contact us as soon as possible so as to lead you on how to transact with us.
    Thanking you in anticipation and looking forward to doing long term business with you.
    Thanks
    Sales Manager.

15. Wow, this was very resourceful! To the Appstore I go! LOL.

16. Great list of resources. I have made a note to try the analytics app. I wonder how many of these apps will be used regularly this time next year.

17. Hi Lee,
    I have a new app for you! the name is Tvider. You can send video, pictures, audio, through your twitter account and it is free.

18. martin666 says:

Nice list! Very helpful! Thanks!

19. great article, im a blackberry user, but iphones seem to be dominating. Very interesting read.

20. Great list Lee! Didn't even think about the UStream Broadcaster! Going to need to get that one. I agree about the Twitter app…Echofon is one of my favorites. I love the auto-complete for the same reason I love Tweetdeck as a desktop app. I have completely fallen in love with Foursquare as well. Trying to get some of my clients to adopt it. Again, great list!

21. iPhone App Reviews says:

Now everybody have iPhone most of the things likes getting news,playing iPhone games,getting weather informations they prefer to use iPhone so i my view it's good
    to have iPhone Apps for Social Media Marketing too………………..

22. Brendan says:

I will give you a million dollars if you can. Scratch that. Be sincerely thankful if you can tell me an app that lets my use files listed in ringtones on itunes as actual ringtones on my iphone. But great info anyways.

23. Thanks for all the useful information, Lee. This is my first time to your blog, but definitely not the last! Thanks again!

24. jasonp83 says:

What's Going Lee!? definitely not the last time i will visit the post,love the useful info :), but fyi if you haven't yet you need to check out the FastMall App,has changed the way i shop for ever!!,definitely worth your time to check out 🙂

25. Thats really a great collection of apps Lee.

26. I can definitely relate to this article. I have an Iphone myself it's pretty much been attached to my hand ever since the day I purchased it. I am constantly checking gmail and facebook throughout the day, pretty much every 5 minutes (and I know I'm not the only one). To know that there are applications that can be used for marketing on the Iphone must make it a lot easier for companys to get exposure and get their name and services out there. I wouldn't be surprised if Iphone applications took over as the #1 marketing tool to use!

27. iPhone App Reviews says:

Truly speaking if somebody ask me to list up Social media iPhone apps,then i selected the same list as above ,really nice list

Thanks For Sharing

28. Lump Sum Annuity says:

Thanks For Sharing

29. you will do better in furture

30. The ending to this game was odd. The Sabres needed to win in regulation to earn the No 2 seed, NFL jerseys so they pulled goalie Patrick Lalime with about 10 seconds remaining, the score tied and the Devils on a power play. The plan was to press for a goal, but it got off to a strange start when Lalime collided with referee Steve Kozari soccer jerseys while heading to the Buffalo bench and both fell football jerseys to the ice.

In the opening round of the playoffs, New Jersey Devils will meet the seventh-seeded Philadelphia Flyers, which beat the Devils in five of six games this season.World Cup Jerseys But it seems that all the members of the Devils just felt quite easy football shirts and relaxed. They have found the way they can play and they will stick to it.Who could have guessed World Cup Jerseys when he was born in the midst of its chill that a son of Moscow would emerge one day as the most popular athlete in that other capital city?