Normally we don’t really cover a lot of industry news here at Online Marketing Blog. We leave that to the experts at Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Land, Search Engine Journal and Marketing Pilgrim. However, when a search engine reaches out with a particularly interesting message, we can make exceptions.
For example, the new “Ultimate Connection” contest from Yahoo Search Marketing which involves Ivanka Trump. I had to read that twice and thought it an interesting choice of celebrity. Whenever I hear about search marketing contests involving essays, I always think of Marketing Pilgrim’s Scholarship, but such methods of promotion have been around a lot longer than SEO blogs.
More details can be found on the YSM blog, but here are the prizes for the three lucky winners from the five finalists who are to write a 500 word essay on what each entrant’s business needs to be successful:
- An â€œUltimate Connection power lunch in New York City with the up-and-coming entrepreneur winners and top-ranking marketing stars
- A $25,000 budget from Yahoo! Search Marketing to use toward a keyword ad campaign
- Mentoring from a legendary marketing expert throughout the year
- Access to a Yahoo! Search Marketing expert throughout the year
- A website makeover, courtesy of Yahoo! Small Business and Web site development firm FastPivot.
Personally, I’d be happy with the $25k in ad spend. That would be a good return on the investment in time to write a 500 word essay. For that, it should be a no-brainer to enter this contest. I suspect if you are running an online store using Yahoo Store as the platform, it would be a REALLY good idea to enter this contest.