The pressure is on! Content marketers are being expected to create more with less. And often, that means creating more content without adding additional team members.
Unfortunately, the content copywriters are often the ones that bear the brunt of these situations which can be exhausting and cause content burnout.
Want to keep your content team happy and productive? Here’s what to do:
#1 – Build a Business Case
Ok listen up, this part is important:
Before you start anything, you need to understand why you’re doing it and whether it rolls up to the most important goals of your company.
Once you’ve developed your goals, it’s time to develop a strategic breakdown that will help you execute. Some key questions to ask include:
- What are you trying to accomplish?
- How will you measure success?
- Are you working on the right things?
- What’s not going to help you succeed? Eliminate it!
Ultimately, customer data should help make content decisions. Traditionally, Nordstrom relied heavily on gut instincts combined with trends to lead their content strategy. Now, they’ve taken a much nimbler approach that includes weekly meetings so that the team can pivot quickly, as well as measurement of content daily, monthly and quarterly. This enables short-term and long term adjustments to planning and creation based on content goals.
#2 – Manage & Prioritize Work Requests
When you have fully tapped content resources, it comes down to finding the balance between what is urgent, and what is important.
Also, utilizing a project management system like Workfront (which we use at our agency), can help teams identify what should be prioritized when there is simply too much to get done.
It’s essential to make time for unplanned work as well. If you’re able to plan for approximately 60% of your team’s tasks, then that leaves 40% of available time to handle last-minute or unplanned items.
#3 – Leverage Existing Content to Build Assets
One of the most overlooked opportunities for creating great content efficiently is to repurpose existing content. And while many marketers talk about content repurposing as a tactic, few are doing it effectively.
To make repurposing simple, start by tagging content appropriately so that you have an easy way to look it up in the future.
Last year, our CEO Lee Odden developed a great blog post that covered 50 influencer marketing fails, many of which came from influencers themselves. After seeing some great success with this post (over 2,000 shares), we decided to turn it into an ungated SlideShare that featured insights from some of the influencers, but also included some new ways to win at influencer marketing. To date this SlideShare has had over 37,000 views!
#4 – Manage Change
In their presentation, Erica and Heather shared three ways to enact change:
- Communicate: Create a case and share it with your leadership team that includes recommendations for more structured intake, prioritization and resource management.
- Model: Make an effort to change your own intake, prioritization and resource management behaviors. That way everyone else can see that you’re doing it differently.
- Reinforce: Reward team members that are following suit or participating in the change of these new behaviors and consider consequences for those who are following the old behaviors.
A Happy Team is a Productive Team
When you get caught up in the day-to-day, it can be difficult to make time for evolving process. However, think about the amount of time you will save by throwing out antiquated content process and let’s be frank, looking for new talent if your team gets burnt out.
Start by collecting data about what is and isn’t working. From there, you can develop your plan, implement and then reassess and optimize your approach.
What have you found to be your biggest challenges in creating a manageable workload for your content team?