As blogs pick up in popularity, people are starting to realize that pitching bloggers a story idea can be a great idea. However, pitching a blogger isn’t like pitching a journalist and your public relations department will need a bit of re-education to get the job done.
Thinks to keep in mind:
- If you’re selling something to a blogger, they won’t be interested.
- If you throw in a bunch of facts and figures they probably won’t take it.
- Sending them a press release probably won’t work either.
- Send them a free serial number to the product you want reviewed and your chances of getting a review skyrocket! Who doesn’t like free stuff?
- Send a personal, down to earth email like you’d send a friend, and your success rate also increases.
Pitching a blogger can be quite easy. However it has to be a relevant topic, a nice friendly email and a bit of free stuff never hurts.
For more information, check out Lee Odden’s fantastic article on Blogger Relations 101.