Top UK Online Marketing Influencers & Bloggers in 2013

Top UK Online Marketing Influencers & Bloggers

For the past 2 years we’ve been publishing a list of the top UK focused internet marketing blogs in advance of speaking at events. This year I’ll be presenting on Creative Content Marketing at SES London February 19th.

Since bloggers do more than just write posts, I’ve shifted the focus of this list from blogs to individuals. With the increasing importance of authorship and personal brands, I think it’s important to consider individual bloggers and the content they share whether its tweets, status updates, or other useful information created online.

As a result, the people on this list are recognized for their overall social sharing about “online marketing” related topics, not just blogging.

Thanks to nominations made from some really helpful UK bloggers we’ve created the Top 50 UK Online Marketing Influencers & Bloggers.

Update: This list has been discontinued.

How did you create the list?
To start, we drew upon our top UK internet blogs lists from past years then asked an array of UK based internet marketers to nominate their favorite blogs and bloggers that cover search engine optimization, content marketing, search engine marketing, social media and other online marketing practices.

How do you define “online marketing”?
To develop this list, we defined online marketing as the practice of using digital channels to attract and acquire customers. The bloggers selected for the list write consistently about topics such as search engine marketing and optimization, social media marketing, content marketing, online public relations and similar topics.

How can I be included on this list?
The only way to be included on this list is to be based in the UK, write and share original content about online marketing. Your relevancy to the topic is most important. We also look at metrics to determine the size of your audience and their level of engagement with your content.

To the following UK based marketers and all around helpful people who nominated many of the bloggers in this list:

Also a HUGE THANKS goes to Evy Wilkins from Traackr for all her hard work to make this new list template happen.

Inevitably, there are people that our readers feel should be included in the lists we publish.  You can share your suggestions of course, but publishing content on social networks and on blogs on a regular basis is really the best way to make it into the consideration set.

Speaking of the UK, here’s a little more about that event I’m speaking at in London next month:
SES London 2013

Creative Content Marketing—Winning Hearts, Minds, & Wallets
Investments in content marketing are on the rise, but few companies have fully realised what the best practices are for creating high-quality content over a long period of time. Developing ideas for effective marketing can be a challenge. This session will help you to:

• Develop a framework for creative and efficient content creation.
  • Find resources and ideas where others cannot.
  • Leverage a mix of evergreen, repurposed, curated, and co-created content for better marketing results.
  • Apply SEO and social media optimization principles to amplify content reach and engagement.

The top 2 live tweeters during my #SESLON session will win a copy of Optimize (sorry, no “Optimise” version is available)  🙂

I hope to see you there!

Comments

1. Wow! Thank you! Great to be included in and amongst some highly respected marketers.

2. Great post Lee, this list is extremely useful (and timely!). Thank you for putting it together. It will be interesting to see whether the list changes over the coming months. – Sam

3. Wow – just been advised about this post and listing. Thanks so much for considering me and thanks to the people that had a hand in it. A great list of people – most of whom I check out regularly and inspire me on a near daily basis too. http://www.marketingassassin.co.uk is going to be massive in 2013 after a book writing sojourn!

4. Thanks David. Maybe Kevin can share more online marketing content and he’ll get picked up on the next crawl 🙂

5. MirandaM_EComm says:

This is a great collection, Lee… I see a lot of names here I’ve read over the years! Congratulations to all and thanks for sharing your knowledge with your communities 🙂

• Cool – Creating useful resources is fun to do and easy when there are so many other people creating value. Thanks for the comment Miranda and for all that YOU do too 🙂

6. great list @leeodden:disqus thanks for reaching out to ask my opinion.

The only thing I’d love to see is in addition to the Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn profiles I’d love to see the Google+ profiles for the list too. I know some are quite active over on Google+ (Bob Barker for example) and it helps round out the consumption of their content.

7. Wow, thank you. What company to be in. Amazed to have made it in this year, particularly considering that I spent a great deal of the first part of the year hiding under a baby and book-shaped rock! Hope to live up to the accolade in 2013.

8. Now there’s a list and a half! Don’t think there are any surprises there though?

9. Thanks Lee and TopRank team, honoured to be included among such great company.

10. Sarah Arrow says:

Thank you for including me. I’ll say it like a true Brit… I’m chuffed to bits :). It’s great to see Bryony Thomas, Lilach Bullock (client) and Mike Lowndes (friend) as well on the list.

11. Good to see our own David Moth on there, as well as several Econsultancy guest bloggers. I’d nominate Kevin Gibbons too, as well as James Carson and Kelvin Newman, who have written some excellent posts for us lately.

• Great suggestions Graham. The cool thing about this list is that getting in isn’t up to us as it is up to the people who are publishing and sharing great online marketing content. Traackr picks up on that.

12. Gareth James says:

Great Egobait!!

13. So excited for Alicia Cowen and Tamara Baranova to be included here! Go ladies!

14. Don’t tell me, all the judges were men??!!

15. Love hearing about us in the UK. Well done to all involved. I hope to have my brand /blog featured next year!

16. Dixon Jones says:

He’s number 2! 🙂

17. Thanks Lee/Top Rank, it’s great to be named amongst some great UK bloggers.

18. It seems to have updated quite a lot since I first looked at it this morning. Was that a launch day manual adjustment thing or the algorithm at work already? I’m loving the fact it will keep updating, rewards the people who are putting the effort in!!

19. I guess this takes into account all the sites the bloggers write, not just those URLs – some have not been updated in a while! – Good list though

20. Morning Lee,

Thanks for publishing and it’s highly flattering to be included amongst such well known and respected industry voices. The challenge is on to get above 24 for next year!!!!
    Thanks, James

21. Thanks for the heads up Bryony. I’ve shared with Traackr to see about a fix.

22. Thank you Lee and Trackur for putting this great list together. I am really proud to be on the list alongside such great people. I love the fact that this is not just a poll and incorporates many objective measurements such as broader and specific content, relevancy to topic, frequency and engagement

Keep us the good work and see you at SES London

23. This is indeed a great list. One notable missing would be Martin MacDonald. I’m surprised he is not on this list. Also, last time I checked, Bas van den Beld was living in the Nederlands. He is one of the best bloggers in this field though, so you might as well put him in the global section. 🙂

• Thanks Phillip. Re: Bas, yes he is based in The Netherlands and the reason he’s in this list is because an overwhelming number of UK Marketers nominated him for this list. And he shares UK focused content. 🙂

24. Hi Kevin, this the link associations with each person are dynamically created based on the Traackr system. However, we have inquiries into Traackr to see if it’s possible to make more permanent associations between individuals and the blogs they write for. I’m sure there’s some downside to this as people come and go with blogs, but we’ll see.

• Thanks Lee, that sounds like a great idea – I write quite a lot, but it’s just published all over the place! So makes sense – see you at SES 🙂

25. Abhishek Bhan says:

This is some interesting and useful information offered here. I am glad I came across this list and it is great to know that Rishi Lakhani too is included in the list of top online marketers. I would like to congratulate everyone here.

26. Thanks for the inclusion – it is great to be included with such a collection of great marketing bloggers 🙂

27. It is an accolade to be included on a list with so many people I respect, congratulations to everyone who appears. It is interesting that the list has already changed since last Friday. Hayden

• Indeed it is Hayden, cheers to you for being a great online marketing information source. We’ll be refreshing this list on an ongoing basis – likely once each month.

28. Excellent stuff. Good job putting everything thing in one platform. Thanks you for sharing.

29. all the pearls of marketing under one blog thanks for sharing the details here helpful for everyone

30. zarapatrick says:

good stuff!! i hope giant of internet marketing is brought under one post. Thanks for sharing.

31. Michael Bian says:

Good job, thank for sharing this.

32. Ola Agbaimoni says:

Hi Lee Big Hugs for including me in your list – I’m really honoured.

33. Timothy Hughes says:

Thanks for my mention at 31!

34. Hi Alice, I’m glad you noticed. This list is algorithmically sourced and sorted by our friends at Traackr. We can ping @mainwilk (Evy Wilkins from Traackr to take a look.